The GR cameras are the greatest and worst I've ever owned

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
includemeout Regular Member • Posts: 169
The GR cameras are the greatest and worst I've ever owned

The form factor is perfect, the focal length and lens characteristics are ideal, the control layout is intuitive, the RAW files are wonderful to work with, the dynamic range has been fine in almost all of the high contrast scenarios I've encountered and the IBIS has proved very effective. In fact, my main cameras are a Fuji GSW690 III 6x9 medium format rangefinder and a GSX 50R, and I've cropped GR III images to 4:3 to exhibit them alongside prints from the GSX files/GSW scans and those are some of my better pictures.

And yet, I've never been more frustrated with a camera or series of cameras.

I own two GR IIIs, one has been with Pentax the past few weeks for dust removal and my backup as of today has dust on the sensor and will require repair.

I returned a GR II that had dust on the sensor on arrival and I had to pay for a repair 14 months later due to the issue occurring on the replacement unit.

My first GR was returned to Pentax twice to have dust removed, albeit I didn't understand the issue then and was carrying the camera in a coat pocket.

Since the GR II I've compromised the pocketability of the form factor by attaching the adapter and a 49mm UV filter to prevent dust ingress (and loss of the adapter ring!) - but to no avail.

I don't use these cameras in adverse conditions, I carry them in a camera bag and when storing them I place them inside a Ziploc plastic bag before returning them to the camera bag. I live in the UK, which is not known for having a particularly dry climate. The sea is a terrifying thing that I stay well clear of at the best of times, so I've never taken my GRs near the beach.

Sure this is all anecdotal but that I own a nine year old X100 and a not much younger X100T, neither of which have had any issue with dust, suggests that the GR is simply a flawed design. It's completely infuriating that Pentax hasn't sorted this issue, in fact I suspect things have gotten worse with the GR III.

If someone at Pentax is listening: the GR would be the greatest fixed lens compact digital ever if you would just fix your damn camera.

If anyone has any suggestions how to avoid dust ingress beyond the addition of the adapter and filter, please tell as I'd love to know.

Ricoh GR II Ricoh GR III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow