Sony A7R4 AF-S in video mode?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Brett8883 Regular Member • Posts: 207
Sony A7R4 AF-S in video mode?

I have an A7R4 and what I would like is to use auto focus to get focus and then have the camera hold focus there until I change it much like AF-S in photo mode. The only problem is AF-S is grayed out in video mode. It tells me this is because I have it in manual video mode but that doesn’t make sense.

I’ve got somewhat of a work around but it’s just not as functional as I’d like it. I’ve turned off “AF with shutter” so instead of focusing with the shutter button I AF with the “AF ON” button and I’ve mapped “AF/MF toggle” to one of the custom buttons so I can lock in focus by switching to MF after focusing. But this means to set focus I have to toggle MF to AF, auto focus with the AF ON button, then toggle back to MF to lock in the focus.

While this is doing what I want it to do it’s just too many steps to effectively change focus points in the middle of a clip. Ideally what I would like to do is to hit the AF-ON button once to AF and have it hold the focus there till I press the AF button again.

Anybody know if this can be done and how?

Thanks!

Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow