Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
twamers Senior Member • Posts: 1,742
Re: DXO Photolab link to website

FrankG wrote:

Antal I Kozma wrote:

dave gaines wrote:

FrankG wrote:

... DXO Photolab 4 elite for the RAW processing. ... the best and most effective Noise Reduction (with DeepPrime) currently availble. Free 30 day trial can be downloaded. Purchase outright, no subscription involved.

I use nothing else for 99.9% of my D850 NEF files. ...

Frank

Thanks Frank,

I would prefer to work with one program for all of my editing.

Here's a link to DxO Photolab4:

DxO PhotoLab 4 - New Features

Hi to all, thanks for the link. I downloaded the trial version, always curious to try out new software. Although I am fairly much set and satisfied with my workflow consisting of PhotoNinja for RAW conversion and CS6 combined with ON1 PhotoRAW for final processing of the TIFFs.

Well, I found DXO Photolab 4 not to my liking. I used it to convert about a couple of dozen images of recently photographed winter scenes. The program felt a bit over complicated, some things overly amateurish some things just over complicated and alien.

Sounds like you didn't really get into using it and exploring it's features much, if at all. Which is a pity.

I didn't feel that it was a refined program working in smooth increments.

Really? How so?

The RAW to TIFF conversions turned out fine but I concluded that I can work a cleaner and more efficient way with PhotoNinja to have my RAW files converted to TIFFs.

I used to use PhotoNinja a lot. Got rather fed up waiting for them to release updates. Had some quite nice features and the virtue of being very quick. I find it very inferior to DXO for refinement of processing, especially detail retention with NR for High ISO files.

AI or not AI, it seems like the current buzz word to recruit new buyers, the program felt too clumsy to me. Yes I know, people can get used to a certain program and operate it naturally after a while.

I find it very easy to use. I think when encountering any "new" software that is unfamiliar there is always going to be a learning curve at first. A little perseverence will bring rewards.

However, to me the end result was no magic, files were not any better than TIFFs from PhotoNinja with which I am intimately familiar with.

Probably depends on the type of files worked with. If you don't need the benefits of the best NR available for High ISO files then perhaps you won't notice the improvements offered by DXO quite so much. However I think many will appreciate this software much more after working with it for a while and gradually discovering what they can do with it. It's really quite powerful.

Frank

This discussion l think really highlights the need to find something that works well for you the individual. In usability, results and cost. As I've previously said there are very many good software packages to choose from. I've tried a number of them.

I now use DXOPhotolab 4 Elite for my Nikon RAW files. I find that it gives the best results by far that I've ever had from any software I've tried. I find it very easy to use and in cost terms l find it acceptable. Printed photos that l do every so often have never been better.

But as l say there are many packages to choose from and we are all different and we'll each find our own preferences in software and workflow in the same sort of way that we choose cameras to shoot with.  And rather like cameras no software package is perfect either but l am certainly happy with my choice.

Good luck to everyone in finding the right software for them!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow