Eye AF and focus areas on A7R4 - how do they interact?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
dronahill New Member • Posts: 20
Eye AF and focus areas on A7R4 - how do they interact?

I've been tending to use the "tracking:expand flexible spot" focus area for 90pc or more of my shooting on the A7R4. I use one of the back buttons (AF-ON) for back-button focusing, and then assign another button (and the lens button, if the lens has one) to eye AF. That way if I want to track a face/eye, I can simply switch buttons. This works very well for most circumstances.

I have a question though: if I'm using this combination, am I limiting the effectiveness of the eye AF if a face falls well outside the flexible spot? Let's say I'm pictures of a single child running around a room. There is only ever one face in the frame, but it is moving (rapidly!) across all parts of the frame. Will the eye AF work better if I choose a specific focus area like "wide"? Or will it work just as well in "tracking:expand flexible spot", or any other area, for that matter?

My experience is that when I press the eye AF button it will locate an eye/face well outside the flexible spot area. That is exactly what I want - I just wonder if I'd be getting better and faster lock-on if my camera was set to a different focus area.

Hope that makes sense!

ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow