Carl Zeiss Flektagon 35 2.4 on Z7

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ProfHankD
ProfHankD Veteran Member • Posts: 7,601
Canon FDn 35mm f/2 flare

Microprism wrote:

ProfHankD wrote:

You consider that to be minor flare? That's not even one of those some-people-like-em sunstars -- there's a stray green streak around 5 o'clock.

We have VERY different standards. You really need to try one of the old Takumars.

If that is a put-down I'll ignore it. Personally, I expect that if you point any lens designed in the 1970s directly at the sun there may be some flare. If you can't accept that then don't point your lens at the sun.

Not a put down, but you are grossly underestimating how good flare resistance can get. I would rate what your shot showed as being no better than a B-... which is actually pretty good for the FDn 35mm f/2 (it's usually C or lower), but there are other lenses with worst-case flare that's an A+.

Admittedly, the SMC coatings were class-leading back then, and not by a small margin, but not all the old SMC lenses are as flare resistant as the SMC 35mm f/2. That is particularly surprising in that the front element isn't even recessed, which is usually a bad thing for flare control. However, the bottom line is that even most modern lenses flare much more easily than this old Tak.

Here's about as much flare as I could get my SMC Takumar to give with the Sun in the frame:

Note the white dot to the lower left of the tree (which might even have been caused by a dust speck) -- that's all I was able to get out of it, worst case. It's honestly hard to get any visible flare, and I never use a hood with it. Compare that to one of very many roughly worst case images using my Canon FDn:

I've posted this comparison at least twice before: 2017 and 2020 .

Basically, my Canon FDn 35mm f/2 commonly flares worse than any other serious lens I own, and it looks to me like yours also tends toward that. Canon FDn lenses in general have more dramatic flare than most contemporaries, and this lens model in particular is well known to be very troubled WRT flare. Preferences can favor whatever you wish, but this FDn lens is an outlier when it comes to intense, multi-color, flare. I'm sure J. J. Abrams would love it, but it drives me nuts.

ProfHankD's gear list:ProfHankD's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX530 Olympus TG-860 Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Sony a6500 +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow