Can I trigger shutter on camera and control lights off camera?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 3,800
Re: Can I trigger shutter on camera and control lights off camera?

Don't think that would work, because of timing issues. If you cabled the Godox to the sync output on a Yongnuo transmitter unit, then the Yongnuo signal would go to the Godox lights and the shutter release on the camera at the same time. Which would be tripping the flashes too early to be caught in the image.

I think you need two Godox transmitters, one on-camera to trip the lights, one in-hand to set the power levels, and then the Yongnuo triggers to act as transmitter/receiver for the camera shutter.

Set the on-camera Godox tranmsitter's C.Fn. SHOOT to APP, and whatever power levels you set on the in-hand Godox transmitter will stick on the lights.

Or. If you live in the US, you could get a Flashpoint SPT transceiver unit from Adorama. You can cable its shutter output to the camera's shutter cable release port.  And it will do the appropriate delay between tripping the shutter and firing the flashes, while serving as both shutter receiver and flash transmitter.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow