Sharpness of 200-500 5.6 After Repair

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Clark95 Regular Member • Posts: 486
Sharpness of 200-500 5.6 After Repair

I had my 200-500 5.6 VR lens repaired back in August- and have not used it extensively until this past week. It was in for repair because the VR was making a grinding "jittering" noise. They ended up replacing the main tube, the VR unit, Repair (RPR?) the Aperture operation, adjust auto focus, and adjust VR system.

I primarily use this lens at aperture 5.6 and have always found it to be pretty sharp wide open. After the repair, I am finding it doesn't seem to focus as sharp as it previously did. If a subject it up close, then I find focus is pretty good/sharp, but when shooting a subject further away, I am finding it not as sharp (unless I am losing my mind- quite possible). I did wonder if it could be fine tune- which I did adjust again after receiving it back (+11), as well as again this past week (changed to +5) to see if that could be the issue, but I still think it's not as sharp.

I am including photos as a before and after the repair. The female wood duck was done before the repair. The other three photos were done after the repair. The beach bird was definitely not as sharp as I was expecting. All were handheld, but I've also noticed the issue on tripod, even using live view- some even less sharp than this sample.

Just wanted to put it on the forum to see what other people's opinions are on the sharpness, or ever had a similar issue where they felt the sharpness was not as good after a repair. I am inserting the full size images- if they don't show full size, please let me know and I will try to re-upload.  Thank you for any input.

Female Wood Duck- Prior to Repair

Beach Bird- After

Mallard- AFTER

Goose After

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow