Full frame E-Mount F1.8 Primes with excellent continuous video AF

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bhagswag New Member • Posts: 7
Full frame E-Mount F1.8 Primes with excellent continuous video AF

TL;DR: Seeking one wide ~F1.8, one telephoto ~F1.8 full frame lens, with excellent face track AF in 4K, for the A7c.

What prompted me to make this thread is that I initially assumed that the excellent phase detect would automagically conform every lens to its quick tracking. But when I saw a few deals for the "old" FE 50 mm f1.8, I saw complaints about its slow AF. Hence, I don't want to accidentally buy a fast prime, and not realize it hinders the A7c's face tracking in 4K, for example.

Hey everyone, been a Lumix GX85 and G9 user. Really loved them but I've discovered that for my needs, excellent face tracking AF for 4K video would be incredibly useful for me. I will miss the 10 bit 4:2:2 from the G9, but the AF improvement would drastically improve my workflow, and the A7c (my new camera candidate) should have also have drastically better low light, allowing more flexibility on when and where I shoot.

Okay, so I've discovered I really only need two lenses. I only tend to either go wide, or telephoto, and nothing in between the two.

On MFT, I considered the Leica 12-60's 12 mm f2.8 end very wide, and good enough. On the other end, I also really liked the Rokinon 85 mm T1.5's FOV a lot (but that would need a hilarious 170 mm lens for the A7c, so I am willing to go down in telephoto-ness).

In summary, I think a 24 mm OR 35 mm should be a good fit for my "wide end" preference. I also would like a F1.8 aperture or similar, as low light is a priority as well, and I know this will cost a chunk-a-change.

For the second lens, I would like a telephoto, such as the Sony 85 mm f1.8. I think the $550 or so is a decent price to pay for good optical quality, but I am open to other lenses (but must address my concern below). Lenses in similar focal ranges are also good.

Continuous video AF must be excellent. I am not bound to Sony's own branded lenses. Sigma lenses look nice but I don't yet have enough insight into their AF capability. I am open to third party fast primes as long as the video AF is top notch. Noisy AF motor doesn't matter. I only shoot videos for the video, and audio is only for syncing with main audio tracks that are added in later.
Thanks for reading and have a good day.

bhagswag's gear list:bhagswag's gear list
Sony a7C
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a7C
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow