Help with syncing photos between iPhone and iPad

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
XiaoDeer Regular Member • Posts: 114
Help with syncing photos between iPhone and iPad

I am a longtime iPhone user who recently acquired an iPad.

I would like the photos I take on the iPhone to be transferred to the iPad. Ideally, this would be automatic but a manual sync would be fine. Sadly, this simple requirement has turned into a frustrating saga. Here's what I have tried:

1. Turn on iCloud Photos. Unfortunately, this immediately disables the ability to sync photos from my PC using iTunes (and deletes any such synced photos from the phone). I absolutely need that capability so this is out. FYI, I use iTunes sync to phone to copy images taken with my DSLR's to my iDevices.

2. Turn on iCloud PhotoStream. Photos taken on the phone do eventually show up on the iPad. But they're displayed in the PhotoStream and not added to camera roll. If I do manually add them to the camera roll, it results in duplicates being added to Google Photos which I also use. Everything gets really, really messy, Trying to manually delete the duplicates only makes matters worse.

3. Next I start looking at some of the iPhone file transfer applications for Windows. It would be okay if I could copy the entire camera roll from the iPhone to my Windows 10 PC. And then copy that from the PC to the iPad.

I looked at lots of "free" programs that after you install and try to use them require a paid subscription. I refuse to play that type of game.

4. I took a step back and simply tried to copy the Camera Roll to my PC using Windows Photos as recommended by Apple. Windows Photos copies about half the images and then stops with "A problem has occurred" and no additional information.

I cannot believe some a basic requirement has turned out to be so difficult.

What are others with broadly similar needs doing?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow