Use of Catalogs

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,406
Re: Use of Catalogs

astevens54 wrote:

Thanks for your comments, I do have varying interest in photography so I do see the benefit of using catalogs. Correct me if I'm wrong. The catalog does nothing physically to the photo itself other the to log it into the database which would have no impact on other photography tools I use.

This is how Lightroom Classic works, I can't speak about other catalogs. (Although I seem to remember that Apple Photos ... or was it earlier software from Apple ... grabbed your original and stored it away in some "catalog" so you couldn't actually find the photo on your hard disk)

This also means each of those tools could have an independent catalog as well not impacting the others?

As far as I know, different tools have different catalogs. The metadata in Catalog 1 is unknown to Catalog 2, so they are essentially independent. Having a specific photo in more than 1 catalog would be a bad idea, in my opinion, because then it could possibly have different metadata in each edits, which then leads to confusion.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow