16-35 f4: Mostly likely cause of soft Left & Right Edges?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nkistrup
nkistrup Senior Member • Posts: 2,527
16-35 f4: Mostly likely cause of soft Left & Right Edges?

Renting this lens for use on a Sony A7iii, converted to infrared.  Using the Sigma MC-11 lens adapter.

After reading the user reviews on B&H Photo's site, numerous reviews on the Internet, and looking at images taken with lens on PixelPeeper.com, convinced that the softness issues on the right & left sides, but not the bottom,  has to be due to one of the following:

1. Infrared compatibility issue: Lens was designed for visible light use.
  2. Photographer is being a nitpicky jerk: Edge softness doesn't jump out while looking at the image on the screen ... only when I magnify to 100%.  Saw some of this in the photos in PixelPeeper site, but not to the extent that I'm seeing it.
  3. Lens sample variation: Maybe I got a less than stellar copy from Lensrentals.com?  Some reviewers mentioned that.  This is my first experience w. a Canon lens.  Have seen it w. Sony, Tamron, & Nikon, but not Zeiss or Voigtlander.
  4. Compositional Choices designed to find lens flaws: Most of the photos that I saw taken w. this lens on the PixelPeeper web site, didn't highlight bricks & similar objects at the edges.  Many of may photos did.

All photos were taken raw, and converted using Capture One; tried DxO PhotoLab, and they came out worse.  Tried with the Canon 16-35 f4 lens profile, as well as the generic one.  And a tripod was used.

Here are the photos, full size & with EXIFINFO: https://graphitepaddle.smugmug.com/Infrared-photography/Lens-testing/Canon-16-35-f4/

Like this lens a lot.  MF & AF work great.  Focal length is a nice complement to my Tamron 28-75 f2.8.  At the least, doing more testing this weekend.  But wondering if I need to rent another copy, in case of copy variation?

Niels

-- hide signature --

“Photography is inspired by beauty, captured with passion.”
? Destin Sparks

nkistrup's gear list:nkistrup's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D7100 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow