AgX or dye inkjet ("dry lab") prints for clients?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
earl_grey_hot New Member • Posts: 1
AgX or dye inkjet ("dry lab") prints for clients?

Hello, I've posted about this some time ago on Luminous Landscape but got no answers whatsoever. So:

Which print type would be better, permanence-wise, for small prints for my clients?
For bigger prints, I have a reliable pigment print provider and that's that.

But when it comes to more of a bulk-type printing, I'm on the fence.
The more I read about properties of each medium - a classic Fuji DPII C-print or dye inkjet minilab print (in this case, from the big-ass Canon dry lab, DreamLabo 5000) - the less I know which would be a better choice.

Both are UV-resistant enough for me. Then again:

1. C-prints degrade over time, even in the dark, but they are pretty gas-resistant. Can put them in the open air without glass (as clients love to do) and they'll be fine. Fuji CA Album photobook can lie on the shelf in the open air and won't be bothered. Then again, the WIR-calculated 100 years in dark storage probably means half of that in real life?

2. C-prints are durable, especally ones with silk finish - no fingerprints, no tearing, no brittle ink-receiving layer to crack. They're, by definition, water-resistant.

3. CDL5000 prints are said to be great dark-storage-wise - if you believe the pretty promises of "300 years in an album" on the Canon HDBook page, which we can assume is bull****. I find it hard to believe that a plasticky, glossy paper with dyes is that archival. Still, the new pro dyes in general are said to be better than organic dyes in C-prints, when it comes to temperature-related degradation, which dark storage comes down to.

4. CDL5000 prints, since it's all dye inkjet, we can assume aren't great when it comes to gas-resistance. If Chromalife 100+ is any indication (I digged some), 20 years in the air and they're noticeably faded. What it means to dark storage - only keep them in sleeve album?

5. CDL5000 photobooks are pretty, but where could they stand when it comes to permanence? Clients don't want to hide their books in boxes, they prefer to keep them in the open, show off, and these are indeed something to look at. But as a memento of important events, will they be there for the grandkids?

These are my doubts. Which would be a better choice?
If you have any knowledge to correct me or add to what I've found, you're welcome. Any advice is welcome.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow