Focus issues with my A6400

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Canon2018 Junior Member • Posts: 41
Focus issues with my A6400

I have been using my A6400 for over a year now and love the camera for its image quality and AF capabilities. However, I still have some unresolved issues with focus accuracy, despite watching numerous youtube videos and reading everything about the settings. I had the camera inspected by Sony, so there is nothing wrong.

I generally use Tracking: flexible spot small, priority: AF, AF-C

1. My Sigma 56mm 1.4 nails AF every time, even difficult subjects such as erratically flying bird

2. My 70-350G also has a very high hit rate, even with birds in flight. It hardly ever misfocuses.

3. Wide-angle landscape pictures are challenging. Focusing on distant subjects such as mountains, forests with lower contrast etc. is hit-and-miss and just unreliable. This applies to 10-18, 20mm/2.8, 16-70. Pictures can be super sharp (so there is nothing wrong with the lenses or the camera in general) but often I find them to be a little misfocused and this is just annoying as I do not want to use manual focus all the time and this never happened with the Canon I had before.

4. Telephoto pictures >100mm with 55-210 or 18-135 have are misfocused most of the time, whereas the 70-350G works just fine. I sometimes feel that some lenses are just overwhelmed by the A6400's fast AF system as the problems hardly occur with high-quality lenses that maybe have a more advanced autofocus motor driving them.

5. Portraits with Eye-AF work beautifully and every time with the Sigma 56mm even with my running children, whereas it is hit-and-miss with Sigma's 30mm and sometimes also with my 16-70, especially if subjects are moving.

6. Although it is such a great lens, the 70-350G totally fails when I try to take photos of the moon using AF. An adapted Canon 55-250 has no problems at all.

Do you have any suggestions what settings I should choose to improve my photography with my A6400?

Canon2018's gear list:Canon2018's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN
Canon PowerShot A640
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow