Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 7,455
Re: en-el15c battery charging

1llusive wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

Boudewijn van der Drift wrote:

Diswantsho wrote:

Thanks, Boudewijn.

It is a great summary in that link.

I have the ec-24 cable that came with the camera, so I am giving that a try.

If you are like me, you will be bored soon with peeling off the side of the camera for every charge.

Your older batteries are are rated for a bit less mAh charge, and perhaps a bit lower voltage once charged then the new one.

The peak charging voltage is determined by the battery chemistry which is Li-Ion in this case I think, and not the capacity of the battery in mAh. My thought is that the newest charger might charge at a slightly faster rate to keep charging times down to normal.

IMO it charges too fast. The battery gets quite warm and I usually pull the plug early, finding it charged to a pretty high level long before you'd think. Heat is a killer of batteries.

So does the new "c" type battery fit in the older less powerful chargers then?  I'm all for a slower charger that does not get the battery so warm.   The peak charge voltage should be the same but just take a bit longer.

For Li-Ion batteries the nominal voltage is 3.6 V/cell, max charge voltage is 4.1, best storage voltage is 3.7, and the minimum discharge voltage is 2.9 - 3.2V. Note that none of this has anything to do with the capacity in mAh.

If your older batteries survived whatever charger you used, so will the new one. Because it can take more charge and perhaps more volts. I see as the only risk, that you miss out on a few extra mAh's of charge. If you like experimenting, charge it first with your existing charger, pop it in the camera, connect the USB and see if it adds an appreciable amount before the orange charging light on the camera extinguishes.

Just keep an eye on the battery indicator and the one but last item of the set up menu (the wrench): "battery info" for awhile.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
The first digital image was made in the late '60's for NASA, as a way to record images of Mars. Each "square" was represented by three numbers, corresponding to the red, green, and blue hue on a scale of 0 to 255. This eliminated the need to ship film back to Earth.

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow