Long exposure noise in B+W vs color on A6000

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Red_Rooster New Member • Posts: 16
Long exposure noise in B+W vs color on A6000

Hey all, I'm new to photography and have been wondering for months about noise in post editing, especially for long exposures in B+W. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I'm trying to learn as much as possible, and I'm having trouble finding anything online about this specific problem.

My question: is this a normal amount of noise for a decently exposed long exposure on a Sony A6000? I've noticed that when I use the luminance sliders in Lightroom, I tend to get alot of grain in the image. At first I thought this was because of "luminance" noise that I read about, but the "color" noise reduction slider makes a big difference, not the luminance noise reduction slider. The last picture here shows the settings I use to get rid of the noise, but obviously I'd like to use less (ideally none) noise reduction than I currently am.

4 second exposure, f8, ISO 100. LENR turned on. Shot with a Samyang 35mm f2.8

Settings: RAW. Sharpening off. All sliders/settings left to default/0, other than turning on Profile Correction. All pictures are a 1:1 crop setting in Lightroom (sorry not sure of the technical zoom amount)

Unedited "control" image

Same image with blue and aqua luminance sliders each set to -50

Same image with blue and aqua set to -50 converted to monochrome

Same B+W image with color noise reduction set to -30, detail at 50 and smoothness at 80

Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow