Nikon trade-in program

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,274
Re: Nikon trade-in program

John Schulte wrote:

I am glad you had a good experience with Nikon on the trade in.
It gives me a little lift as so far, I have been waiting for a Z7ii after sending in my Z7 in mid December.
The Z7ii is on back order which doesn’t bother me at all. I can wait.
but...
I have not received any communication from Nikon about my return being received properly. I do have the tracking that shows it arrived at Nikon. I then expected an email acknowledging the receipt of the trade in but heard nothing.
calling Nikon did not help- they could not tell me the status of my return.
In this day and age, a confirmation email of trade-in received would be nice.
If they would let me know it was received I would be fine and relax about it- I have no problem about the back order but a little communication would be nice.
bottom line- I have to wait for new camera to ship before I find out if they really have my old one.

Am I a little crazy? Seems a little lack of customer service or someone dropped the ball.
so.... I wait. That is my only option at this point.
Just my experience- hoping yours is better.
regards,

john

I went through EXACTLY the same thing trading my Z7 for a Z7 II. Nikon does not let you know they received your camera. Worse, they won't confirm that the online quote is what they are going to allow you. Their process is to bill you full price and ship your new camera. Then, a couple of days later, they will issue you a credit for the trade-in.

I found that to be totally unacceptable. What happens if they offer less than you expected? You won't know until after they have already billed you MSRP for the new camera. That's a stupid way of doing business.

I had about a two week conversation going with Nikon support via their website text program. I got the same answer to every question I asked. "The camera is backordered. We will ship it when it is available." I finally called them. After an extensive session with a very nice lady, she escalated my case to a supervisor. He kept explaining how their system works. I kept saying I would not deal with them that way. I wanted to know what my Z7 credit would be before they shipped the Z7 II. Finally, he said he would look into it and call me back. He didn't call, but he contacted me via the secure website text system a few hours later and said they were going to credit me exactly what the estimate had been.

A few days later I was notified of the shipping and billing for the new camera. Two days later, they issued the credit. The credit cleared my credit card company the same day I received the camera. All was good.

All I can say is that it all worked out perfectly in my case. It is a poor way of doing business on their part. There are several ways the deal can go south on you. I have no idea what they would do if they evaluated your old camera at less value than the online estimate based on the condition you describe the camera being.

Keep the UPS documentation of them receiving your camera. At least you'll have proof of delivery if they were to claim they don't have it. Otherwise, just be patient. The system seems to work.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow