Purpose-centric advice buying a new camera

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ZilverHaylide Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Re: Purpose-centric advice buying a new camera

JustUs7 wrote:

I would post this in the EOS R forum. Might get some camera choice push back in here.

If you’re only willing to get one lens you might want a speed light with the R with no built in flash. The RF 24-240mm USM covers a 10x’s zoom. JPEG’s are great and raw files opened in Canon’s DPP4 software are also great and easy to work on.

Being a 10x zoom, it benefits from Digital Lens Corrections, especially at the wide end. Users love it, but people looking at uncorrected raw files on test charts like to dump on it. It’s not meant to be used without lens corrections.
If big range isn’t a concern, then the 24-105 f/4 L lens would be good.

If you want a second lens for lowlight, indoors, use your speed light money on the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro or the RF 50mm F/1.8 STM.

Good advice, though personally I think the 10x zooms are pushing things a bit. But it very much depends on the person's end use. Social media? Newsprint? Fine. Giant prints? No. In between? Depends.

To the OP, expanding a bit on what @JustUs7 has said:

Probably the most "general purpose" lens one can buy for full frame is a zoom that starts around 24mm (half the mm of the "nifty fifty" that was the "standard" prime decades ago, so moderately wide, and wide enough for most general purpose uses), and goes to about 105mm (double the "reach" of the "standard" 50mm, and with a better perspective for uses such as portraits).

Canon has several 24-105, I'll have to defer to others to evaluate their performance, since I use Sony, not Canon mirrorless.

Even though you only want one lens (initially), before long you might find it advantageous to add one "prime" (a non-zoom) in your carry bag. As @JustUs7 has said, I'd consider the RF 35 or 50 (with a maximum aperture of f/1.8 - 2, they are smaller and less expensive than the "big guns" they sell to pros). But I'd also add the 85mm as deserving of consideration. 35-50-85 choice depends on usage preferences, which you'll come to know after using your zoom for awhile. That kind of lens (single focal length) will give you higher optical performance (usually sharper, but more importantly, lets you operate in lower lighting without having to boost camera ISO too much, which makes things grainy), and will be lighter and more compact than a zoom. Also lets you blur background more than a zoom because of smaller "depth of field". An 85mm deserves consideration because it is the traditional focal length on full frame for a portrait lens, and also produces a slightly-flatter perspective that can be good for other uses. (My mom used an 85mm as a travel lens, with good results (though most people would find it too long)).

Good shooting with whatever you choose.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow