Battery Charging Management

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,397
Re: Battery Charging Management

Daisuski wrote:

I have a ZII with the battery model EN-EL 15c, which I understand it the latest, fast charging type.

I’ve checked the Z6ii / Z7ii reference manual (pp 43, 44), searched various Nikon websites and generally Googled but can find no answer whatsoever to the issue of management or cycling of the battery.

Being old school, I automatically try to deep cycle any Li battery, in order to counter any memory effort and so hopefully ensure prolonged life and rapid charging. Is this correct?

I also want to buy a power pack, for charging the camera on the move. These generally come at two charging rates (26800 mAh and 1000) but what is the best rate in order to ensure effective changing and a long battery life.

I therefore think that Li batteries haven’t changed much over the decades, if you don’t deep cycle them, or charge at the right rate, they’ll deteriorate and fail quickly. Am I correct?

DO NOT "deep cycle" Li-ion battery cells. There is no memory effect and taking them to both empty and full degrades them.

20-80% is the best operating range for long life, and storing them at around 1/2 is the least stressful on them.

The charger that comes with the camera is so fast that I tend to pull the plug before it's done. Most of the time I find a hot battery that's at 90% which is more than enough. Operating temps are another thing that causes excess degradation.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow