Reducing flange distance?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
petrochemist Senior Member • Posts: 2,891
Re: Reducing flange distance?

fferreres wrote:

mapachebasura wrote:

I'm sorry, is the suggestion here that I also get a new camera? I wish I could edit my post to say that I have a Canon DSLR. I get that a mirrorless is going to facilitate this a lot though.

My recommendation, since you want to tinker and play, is that you get an OMD EM1 mark 1 or OMD EM10 mark 1 or 2. You will get a very close mount to the lens, and all the CC TV generally will be designed to cover that flange distance.

Actually a large proportion of shorter focal length CCTV lenses will not.

Many of these are CS mount which requires the lens flange to be 6.7mm behind the cameras flange for infinity focus. In addition most c-mount lenses under 25mm don't cover the small MFT sensor.

The Pentax Q series or A Samsung NX mini (both out of production) are the best bets. I know adapters for D-mount lenses have been printed for the Q, which adds in some more cine options...

Micro Four Thirds cameras are quite good for playing with C-mount. I have tried at least half a dozen c-mount lenses two of which cover less than half the width of the MFT sensor. Particularly annoying was a c-mount teleconverter which can't cover the sensor even when the lens it's used with does.

Several other lenses proved to be CS despite being described as C.

petrochemist's gear list:petrochemist's gear list
Pentax K100D Sigma SD14 Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow