SAF Front Focus and CAF/SAF Focus Comparisons with the 300mm f4 – E-M1s.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Veteran Member • Posts: 5,405
Re: SAF Front Focus and CAF/SAF Focus Comparisons with the 300mm f4 – E-M1s.

I have noticed that with 840mm on the EM-1X that with distant birds there is a tendency to front focus; though not uniformly so. This on water birds, so with texture in the water it is fairly easy to see where exactly the camera focused. The error is large enough to render some images useless. However, I also need to factor in the fact that I am probably moving the camera some in a burst sequence. Also, I may at times be shooting when the green box is no longer green - on focus.

When the eye of a bird is large enough for AI to lock in on the eye, the camera tends to do much better.

With the numbers you have here and a telephoto lens, the indication is that a slightly greater aperture is likely to keep the focus within DOF. Also the DOF may well be such that it is very narrow anyways, and for instance it makes a difference whether or not the bird turns it's head.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow