Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and Milvus 50mm f/1.4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JHern
JHern Regular Member • Posts: 115
Re: Zeiss Otus 55mm f/1.4 and Milvus 50mm f/1.4

Each Milvus and Otus are different, and the relative differences between the lines vary quite a lot. My impression has been that the Milvus-Otus difference is greatest for these lenses in the 50-55mm range, and less so for the 85mm.

The 35/1.4 Milvus can only be compared to the 28/1.4 Otus, and they are getting even closer in performance (actually, I would rather own/use the 35/1.4, since its large aperture is more useful in rendering depth-of-field effects at 35mm than the Otus at 28mm).

The 135/2 Milvus is often said to be "Otus" in all but name, but seems to lag a bit if one compares it with the 100/1.4 Otus (but that is probably the best Otus of them all).

There are no Otus lenses wider than 28mm (no plans, either), so nothing really to compare the 15mm, 18mm, and 21mm Milvus lenses to in the Otus line.

I should say that the build quality and weather sealing of the Milvus lenses is astonishingly good, and I don't see any reason not to invest in any of them...they will all produce wonderful images in skilled hands.

JHern's gear list:JHern's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D3S Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D +25 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow