adapt zoom lens for sony a6500

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Alan WF
Alan WF Senior Member • Posts: 2,946
Re: adapt zoom lens for sony a6500

I am looking for a fast zoom lens (similar range to 24-70 in full frame) with a constant aperture for my Sony a6500, Sony lenses are very expensive, can anyone recommend me a lens from another company or even a vintage lens that can be fitted with an adapter on the Sony?

I’m going to assume by “fast” you mean f/2.8 at the sensor.

There are a bunch of reasonable options here:

• Native f/2.8 E-mount lenses from Sigma and Tamron. Ask about them over in the NEX forum.
  • Adapting an f/2.8 A-mount lens using one of the Sony LA adapters.
  • Adapting a EF-S f/2.8 mount lens (Canon, Sigma, Tamron) using one of the EF-to-E adapters. 
  • Adapting a manual-focus full-frame f/4 DSLR lens with a focal reducer to give a f/2.8 lens at the sensor. The older lenses tend to be 35-70 rather than 24-70, though.

There are other options too, but they are likely to be more expensive. A big part of the decision comes down to how much you want to pay and how important auto-focus is to you.

I’d also comment that another option is primes. For example, the Sigma 19/2.8, 30/2.8, and 60/2.8 are great quality and very reasonably priced. I think I could manage almost all of my photography of people with the 19/2.8 and 60/2.8 (which more or less correspond to the extremes of a fast standard zoom).

Regards,

Alan

Alan WF's gear list:Alan WF's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow