Questions about switching from Nikon D500 to A6600 for small birds in flight

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
seanofford Regular Member • Posts: 441
Questions about switching from Nikon D500 to A6600 for small birds in flight

Hi all,

I'm more a birder than a photographer but I particularly love the challenge of taking pictures of passerines in flight during migration. I currently use a Nikon D500 with the 300mm PF lens and a 1.4 converter. It's a beautiful walkabout setup and it only weighs 1.9kg for both camera and lens.

However I don't like the Nikon for video, I find the fixed prime lens somewhat limiting, and I'm not totally happy a number of other small things relating to the setup.

So I am seriously thinking about switching to the Sony for the flexibility of the 200-600 lens and the video possibilities of the A6600, but am a bit worried about a few things. Firstly, I last had an EVF camera a long time ago and I hated it compared to the optical viewfinder of a DSLR. So is the viewfinder adequate for quickly locating small fast birds in bushes and in flight against complex backgrounds these days? Secondly does the EVF black out when taking bursts? If so does this make tracking a fast flying finch or similar in flight too difficult? Thirdly how many shots can you take in a row before the buffer fills and you have to wait? And how long is the wait?

If anyone has made a similar switch and wishes to chime in with their answers to these questions, or any general comparative observations, I'd be super happy to hear from you (but please don't recommended I get an A9ii - that's way beyond my budget!).

Many thanks
Sean

Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow