Beware of the MiniTool Partition Manager

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 10,878
Re: Beware of the MiniTool Partition Manager

skyglider wrote:

I installed the free MiniTool Partition Manager about a week ago for some partition tests that I wanted to try.

Fast forward to today. I wanted to change a drive letter so I opened Win10's Disk Management. It would not change the drive letter saying that the drive was in use. I did a restart to insure that nothing was using the drive. Disk Management still wouldn't change the drive letter because the drive was in use. (Had the option to force the drive letter change but I didn't want to do that since I wanted to find out why the drive was in use.)

I booted Win10 in safe mode and then Disk Management allowed the drive letter change normally. That confirmed that a startup program was the culprit.

Booted back into Win10 and suspecting that MiniTool might be the culprit, I found that MiniTool was in the Task Scheduler so was auto starting on boot. Removed it from Task Scheduler and then removed the MiniTool program.

After a restart, now Disk Management can change drive letters normally.

So beware of installing the free MiniTool program. In my opinion, it sucks!

Perhaps AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard (free) would be a decent alternative; I boot it from a separate drive to do my partitioning.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow