Is the G9 Hires mode indeed much better than Oly's?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jorginho Forum Pro • Posts: 15,267
Is the G9 Hires mode indeed much better than Oly's?

I have been looking at the S5 just because it was touted to have superior hires mode. Well..looking at the scene I found out that there were still strange patterns especially in the pic where the girl has a shirt on with a black and white pattern.

So I went to the sutdioscene and  first of all: why can't I find RAW Hires files for Em1.2 nor EM1.3 but I can find them for the G9 and (luckily) the EM5.3? I have seen this before.

So since the EM5.3 Hires mode is the same as the other ones (bar the handheld of the EM1X and Em1.3) I compated it. The Panasonic looks a lot cleaner at ISO1600. Now we can think that they brushed away noise, sharpend thing up etc. But on the Oly in RAW we get more noise but also clearly less detail. The pattern on the cards (small lines) is clearly visible on the G9 one but not at all on the EM5.3. Also not in JPG. It isn't there.

In fact the G9 hires mode at ISO1600 is a lot closer to the S5 than it is to the Oly Em5.3. It is that much of a difference. Both used the same lens (Leica 42,5 mm) so that is not it.

But how can the difference be that big when they seem to use a very similar technology?

I think I have seen this in some reviews too, but unsure. So can anyone compare or shed a light on what I migth be missing here? Thanks!

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +8 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow