Flickr

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
markyboy81 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,333
Re: Flickr

Smaug01 wrote:

richiebee wrote:

Any opinions on the current state of Flickr? It went through a pretty dire period a year ago with the CEO making a desperate, almost threatening plea to users to subscribe to the Pro model to keep it alive.

Its still up. So did it work, or is it on its last legs?

I signed up for a Pro account last year. This year, the price had at least doubled to continue it, so I canceled the auto-renew they had set up. Still works, albeit with ads again now.

I wish they didn't have to be so darned greedy with the pricing; I really like the interface.

I'm going to start back toward Google Photos again, I think, as it is less drama with them.

Flickr pro was cheaper last year because they had promotions running. Mine is set to renew next month for around £56. I don't think that is excessive given you get unlimited photos storage and pretty much unlimited video storage.

I was a fan of Google photos with their unlimited free high Res images and videos, but they will stop this later this year and start charging for anything more than 15gb, which isn't really that much. If you take a lot of photos and videos Google photos will end up costing you a lot more. Furthermore, the 'high res' 1080p videos don't look great and are compressed to a low bitrate. Photos look ok, although stuck at 16mp max, which isn't a huge issue.

markyboy81's gear list:markyboy81's gear list
Sony ZV-1 Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX3000 Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow