Foveon sensor looks at The Great Nebula in Orion

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
DavidWright2010 Senior Member • Posts: 2,659
Foveon sensor looks at The Great Nebula in Orion

Since I'm mostly doing astrophotography these days, I'm using different cameras. But while I was waiting for the Moon to set tonight. I got out the SD1M and the Sigma 150-600 mm (C) lens.

After the obligatory Moon shots, where I used AF to get a sharp Moon image, I switched to manual focus and slewed the mount over to Orion. I was going to use the focus obtained on the Moon, since the SD has no live view to fine focus on a star.

I took a series of 30 second exposures wide open (f/6.3), until I got bored with pressing a button every minute. (14 exposures)

Then I processed and stacked these images.

For a comparision, I had a series of 30 sec exposures with a Pentax camera and a 360 mm F/5.9 OTA. I had used the intervalometer function in the Pentax to run off a series of 60 such exposures; I selected 14 at random and processed them as well.

Here we are - Foveon on left, Bayer on right:

And while this result isn't terrible, the Orion Nebula is the brightest deep sky object in the Northern Hemisphere.

I was also interested is seeing how the 150-600 mm lens did on stars, so here is the full-sized stacked image:

The full non-Foveon image of Orion - 60 exposures of 30 sec each - can be found here.

David

DavidWright2010's gear list:DavidWright2010's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD1 Merrill Pentax K-1 +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow