Got my R6, disappointed with AF performance on EF Sigma 150-600mm lens for bird photography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jpdodel New Member • Posts: 4
Got my R6, disappointed with AF performance on EF Sigma 150-600mm lens for bird photography

Been using my Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary with my Canon 5D Mk III, Mk iV and 7D Mk II for 4 years now with great results. My main goal for the body upgrade was to get the much improved (so I thought) AF system on the R5/R6 and better ISO performance. Other than that, my images were pretty decent on the 5Ds. So I just got the R6 with EF adaptor, shooting on Servo AF, animal eye detection on one back focus button and spot focus on another back focus button for fast switching, Tv 1/2000s f6.3 most of the time. After spending a full weekend shooting birds in flight I noticed the camera was often missing the focus on the animal, whether I was on spot AF or animal eye detection. 50% of my shots had focus issues, a much higher percentage than I was having with my 5Ds. Is anyone experiencing this with their R5 or R6? I did a quick image test at home and noticed the R6 image was slightly less contrasty than the same shot taken with the same lens on the 5D Mark III. Less contrast means harder time focusing in the field? The difference was not huge but noticeable, don't think this is the main cause though. The camera seems to have a much harder time focusing on somewhat distant birds than the 5D. But even for closer subjects, the camera seemed to track the bird well on the EVF but actual images came out blurred. I have an entire sequence of shots of a short eared owl in flight where 75% of the shots are either a little blurry (not really usable) or completely out of focus, I was shocked as although the bird was not very close many of those images would have been noticeably sharper with the 5D. Here's the sequence of images: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KStVnsUxGVh8mS7LA
Any thoughts? Thanks!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6 Ricoh Caplio R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow