RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP viper699 Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: Transfer, Affinity Photo, Picktorial and Luminar

BrownieVet wrote:

viper699 wrote:

BrownieVet wrote:

viper699 wrote:

Will do- I don’t recall seeing Nikon Transfer 2, I’ll check. The software links were provided to me by Nikon TS as the version I needed wasn’t listed.

Nikon Transfer is NOT an EDITING software. It is only for copying/transferring file from your camera (if you use cable) or from Memory card to your computer.

I'm pretty certain I installed Affinity. Also have a PSP 2020 version of some type. They were all on sale during COVID, so picked up a couple SW.

Affinity Photo (AP) is ROBUST but very complicated. There are hundreds of FREE Video Tutorials on-line. AP has been my go-to editor since September 2018. Picktorial is much easier to learn and has many very useful features, moreover, has excellent file handling / management. Luminar (all versions I own) are VERY SLOW. Has difficulty working with more than 2 files.

I checked my computer. For Nikon I have ViewNX-i v1.4, and Capture NX-D v1.6 for my Win7 Pro computer. I don't have Nikon Transfer 2. Will look into this.

I have no idea of the latest versions for Windows since I use Apple. Regardless of version currently installed in your computer, lunch the program then click HELP to check for UPDATES.

here is a link to Nikon Transfer:
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000003433&configured=1&lang=en_US

For Affinity I have v1.8.3. It was 50$ I was looking for a less expensive Photoshop.

In December, AP was on sale for about $30. Mine (Apple) is version 1.8.6.
I have full blown version of Photoshop. To me, it is cumbersome.
If you buy AP, do not buy the $56 WORKBOOK. It is practically useless.

Some people recommended it here. The only thing I don't like is that it's LIGHT on providing a manual. Their manual it seems you have to buy for 50$, not cool. I've tried GIMP years ago, and didn't like the GUI. I know it's better now, but haven't tried it since as I didn't own a digi cam.

GIMP id FREE. I have it since 2015. I never felt comfortable with GIMP

I own an older version of PS, PS CS3 Extended. I may see if I can install that on my computer. I used it for minor graphics works, never for digital photography- no need back then.

Now there are many pieces of SW out there. Seems all of them do something the other one doesn't have, OR some aspect is makes it excellent for those few tasks. OR the reverse, good software but maybe has some things against it etc, ie nothing is perfect.

I also have LR v6.x the last standalone version before Adobe went to rent-rare. I HATE rentware.

I bought LR as I knew at some point I'd get into digital and by then Adobe would be exclusively rentware.

Thanks for the Affinity tip on videos. I will look into this.

Try using whatever software you own and installed in your computer. No sense spending money if you can use any software to meet your objective.

Thanks for the tip on the AP workbook!

yeah I’m done buying software for quite a well.

also thanks for the link

viper699's gear list:viper699's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow