Geese and Cranes

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Contributing Member • Posts: 958
Geese and Cranes

As I've said here before, we have our own wildlife refuge in my part of the Texas Plains.   This is about the third year in a row that the Cranes and Geese have wintered in our area.   I am always in awe to see the numbers of these birds in our Playa Lakes and fields.   Much of this little area where the birds are wintering had corn and milo on them.  A hailstorm in June devastated the Cotton and farmers replanted to Milo(Grain Sorghum) and Corn.

Most of the remainder of the Llano Estacado are in a bad drought and there is no water in the playa lakes.   This small area just north of my farms has a few playa lakes that have water.  If we don't get some rain soon the remainder of these playas will dry up.

Here are a few images I took today.

Lots of Snow Geese, Ross's Geese, White Fronted Geese and Canada geese.  Plus a lot of Mallards  and Pintails.

Sandhill Cranes feeding in a cotton field after a 6 inch snow mellowed the ground.

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow