How did you find your style?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Birdstheword
OP Birdstheword New Member • Posts: 4
!

Autonerd wrote:

Birdstheword wrote:

Where I live (CA) there are a lot of photographers with the same warm, moody style. While I am drawn to it, I don’t want to just fall in line with what everyone else is doing.

Why not? Do what you love. One of my favorite styles of photography was inspired by a photographer named Scott Matyjaszek. A friend owned a several of his prints. He made a lot of junkyard photos that I loved, photos that concentrated on texture and color, and I began to emulate that style. Effectively, I started copying what he did -- but of course I had my own take, so my images had their own feel.

Scott has moved on to other subjects, but if you check out this gallery , you'll see some of those color and texture pics (cars and doors). (Be advised, some female nudity here. Don't look if you're scared of boobs.)

Now, if you go to my digital album on Flickr, you'll see photos of that same style. Maybe you'll think my pics are nothing like his; maybe you'll look at them and think I'm a copycat with no sense of originality. But they are pics I enjoy making, and everyone is individual, and that (to me) is what matters most.

Incidentally, I reached out to Scott a few months back and told him how much his work influenced me, and sent him a link to that same album of mine. He sent a lovely note back, and included a high-res JPG of a shot I hadn't seen, with permission to print for myself. How cool is that?

Anyway, that's a long-winded way of saying do what you like and don't worry about whether it looks to much like other people's work. You don't have to have your own style. Unless you're doing this for a living, you should enjoy making photographs. Do what is enjoyable!

I’m very drawn to vintage/film style photos, but I guess I need to spend more time learning how to edit.

Or just shoot film. A lot of us still do!

Aaron

Hi Aaron! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Scott’s stuff is great! Really awesome he sent you some unseen work as well! I definitely don’t think your style is similar to his, but maybe I just didn’t see enough of his stuff to compare.

photography is a big part of my job - but not in the same sense. I do social media management for dairy and ag businesses, so i have to photograph families, dairies, equipment, events, etc. While I do enjoy it, I’m still looking to do my own thing. Possibly for a career, but mostly for myself at this time. I have shot weddings with my husband who is a phenomenal photographer (and everyone reading this is probably wondering why I don’t just ask him - I do pick his brain a lot! It used to be a side job for him but now it’s just a hobby) and I did my first family session on my own in the fall. My kids have been my subjects for the last 5 years. I don’t know, I guess I’m just here to see what everyone has to say and so far it’s been really wonderful reading responses.

as far as film goes - that’s an entirely different world I’m not ready to dive into! Although we do have a working Leica camera sitting around!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow