Why the 12mm prime barrier?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
TheEye
TheEye Veteran Member • Posts: 4,865
It used to be worse

Your question is a good one and I don't have a good answer but I can offer some observations. Whenever I brought up my desire for a UWA prime, I was advised to either go for one of the zooms (9-18, 11-22) or to get a WA adapter for the 14mm f/2.5. I just think the demand for primes was not high enough to entice either Panasonic or Olympus to come out with UWA primes. Many 4/3 and later m4/3 shooters seemed to disproportionally more into wildlife photography and showed thus more interest in longer focal ranges.

Maybe it's just me but I think a basic set of primes ranging from UWA to tele should be part of any photosystem. What we got were lots of duplicate and near duplicate focal length vario lenses, and warmed-up newer versions of the same old lenses.

Back in 2009 when I bought into 4/3 I never expected Olympus and Panasonic to not add within a reasonable timeframe either a 10 or 9mm prime. That was the only time I ever bought into an immature system and it will never do it again.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photography-by-thomas/sets/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow