Improving on m43 as a compromise solution

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JurassicPizza
OP JurassicPizza Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Re: Improving on m43 as a compromise solution

Astrotripper wrote:

If you don't "overexpose" and have no metering bias set, chances are there's quite a bit of potential wasted. Olympus quite aggresivelly protects highlights and as a result, for non-high DR scenes, the rightmost side of the histogram is just empty. This was quite extreme with E-M1 Mark II, less with newer models. No idea about E-M5 II. either way, in case of Olympus, ETTR can bring quite a big improvement at base ISO.

Another aspect is processing, sharpening in particular. Overdoing that, or using inappropriate parameters will bring out noise that would normally not be visible to the viewer. A typical example is noisy sky. It's usually the result of under exposure as explained above and excessive sharpening that ends up applying sharpening to areas of the image that do not contain any detail and should not be sharpened at all (such as the sky).

Great points, thanks - yes, noisy skies are one of the things that bother me. I sometimes use a circular polarizer and I'm sure that exacerbates the issue by reducing brightness of the sky.  I haven't thought much about ETTR for years, but I see what you mean about how it could help with the E-M5 II.

I know there is a ton of post processing that can be done on images that deserve the attention: better raw conversion, noise reduction, upscaling, etc. than found in Lightroom, and that's also an area where I can likely get some improvement.

-- hide signature --
 JurassicPizza's gear list:JurassicPizza's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow