Current X3F-processing best practice?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
east coast New Member • Posts: 6
Current X3F-processing best practice?

Hello,

I see many older threads on the forum about the Kalpanika, Iridient, etc.

I'm curious what the best option is in 2021 for processing X3F files (specifically, from the Merrill cameras)?

I find that I don't take my DP2M with me as often as I might because I dread the experience of using Sigma Photo Pro. But it seems like there is still no alternative.

I love the idea of Kalpanika but it does not work for me; when I open the resulting DNGs I get very, very green images in Lightroom. They are bright green all across; it's not subtle nor is it vignetting, or banding, or localized in any other way.

I even tried the shell script that was supposed to correct Kalpanika's files in this thread, but the resulting DNGs still look like this in Lightroom:

Some older threads claim that Adobe DNG Converter can handle DP2M files, but for me it doesn't; it just refuses to convert them. Other threads suggest that maybe support was removed at some point?

Iridient is the only non-Sigma application I've found that can render color correctly for the X3F files from my DP2M. Unfortunately, while it's faster than SPP, it's still much slower than Lightroom. And I'm hesitant to spend too much time building a workflow around a niche piece of software that doesn't support the Quattro cameras and likely won't support any future Foveon cameras.

I've thought about getting a DP2Q just for the in-camera DNG support. I love the images from my DP2M, and the speed, battery life, etc., don't bother me much, but I think I may have reached the end of my patience for waiting 30 seconds to adjust the white balance in SPP (on a machine with 32 gigs of RAM!)

Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
dlj
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow