Sensor resolution vs screen resolution

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
akjos
akjos Veteran Member • Posts: 4,564
Sensor resolution vs screen resolution

Ok ...the “ experts” might find this little crazy probably but hear me out...

Highest MP Cameras I owned were 24 mp. ( several... FX and DX) Except about 3 month honeymoon with A7R3. (42mp) while back

I always edited photos on 1920/1080 monitor being it 22 inch desktop monitor or 17 or 15.6 laptops which I used exclusively last 9 yrs or so because I’m always on the go with my job ( like 25 days out of the month...)

in December I got M1 macbook air with its “retina “ high resolution 13” display.
well damn... all of the sudden my 20 or 24 mp camera files seem really low resolution. It is actually quite frustrating.
I was always in the “24 mp is more then enough for anything “ crowd but looking at 100s of my edited photos from last 5 yrs or so Im like... well this kinda sucks...

Now Looking at the 42 mp Sony files I view the resolution as the sweet spot and my new R6 sensor seems almost obsolete ( resolution wise ...otherwise I absolutely LOVE the camera)

God forbid one used even higher resolution ( like 4k) monitor... then there would be literally no cropping at all possible pretty much before hitting 1:1 or 100% which you don’t really want to do to VIEW the photos as a whole...

I hardly ever print but did before but only thing I got printed was about 20/20 wall calendar photos from my travels 16 yrs ago and that was with 8mp camera and they looked great.

so that brings me to another question... is the 20 mp indeed enough to print fairly large? Should one have that one in the 1000 photo he would like to blow up like for the living room wall? Say 50 -60 inches wide.
Because the lack of Mp while viewing the images on high resolution monitor sure seems like almost not...

thanks for the opinions.

Ricoh Caplio R6 Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow