RAW+JPEG in C1?- better to separate or not?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Dave_J_E Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: ICC Profile files for RAW vs JPEG- checked.

viper699 wrote:

Dave_J_E wrote:

My advice differs from that of the other posters. In my experience with Capture One 20 (for Sony), jpeg files embedded in the raw file are not used for preview purposes. Instead, when a raw file is imported into a Session, a so called Preview File is generated which is seen in the Viewer and a thumbnail version of this is generated and appears in the Browser. The size of the preview file can be set in the Preferences/Image section and one recommendation is to set this to your screen width. It is a reasonably large file but considerably smaller than the raw. It is sort of the working file if you like (except for 100% view) and the raw file is not called on until you export a jpeg or tiff etc.

The preview file (and the thumbnail) display the editing changes as you make them.

Interestingly I've found that my Sony raw preview files are reasonably close to a jpeg shot under raw+jpeg (with a Creative Style of Standard for the jpeg). I certainly don't need to use a jpeg for culling purposes.

I'd urge you to persevere with just importing the raws into the Capture folder. You should get to judge the image potential from the raw preview file alone fairly well after a while.

Dave

I took a quick look at my laptop. The first computer I imported the images into C1. I checked on the color icon (3 circles), the one after the camera icon.

The .NEF files have a ICC file of "Nikon D5500 generic". There's a drop down box for D5500-Landscape and other shooting modes. I shot using the Landscape mode.

The curve is set for Auto. and White Balance Mode is "shot"

Again these are the settings upon import. I haven't done a thing.

I checked the JPEGS that were imported as well.

Their ICC Profile is listed as 'From File (sRGB IEC61966-2.1)

Curve is "Auto"

WB Mode is "Shot"

I spoke to someone who owns the same version of C1 as I do. They use a Fuji camera, maybe XT-3. He said the same, the RAW files look not as good. We didn't have time to get into specifics.

I find it interesting your Sony branded C1 looks good. Perhaps this has something to do with your settings? And/or that C1 is made for Sony RAW files too.

Haven't heard from C1 TS yet.

When I flip back and forth between the 2 image types of the same shot, I can see the histogram changing a bit, the Kelvin value for the JPEGs I'm looking at (sunsets) at 5000, and tint is zero. But for their NEF counterparts, Tint is 1.1-1.4, and Kelvin is 5300-5400

Let me know what you think.

All new to me.

The settings you describe should be fine. I usually use the generic profile for my Sony A7. I'm not sure why your raws are not looking as good as the jpegs initially. Could you perhaps post an example, ie a camera jpeg and an exported jpeg from the raw file (without any adjustments)?

You mention a drop down box for different versions of the profile such as Landscape etc. This is something I don't seem to have for my Sony profiles. Have you tried a few different options there?

Don't worry abut the Kelvin and Tint values being different for the raw and jpeg. The settings of 5000 and zero don't mean anything. With a jpeg, you've lost all reference to the original As Shot white Balance data.

Dave

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow