Canon R5 some thoughts an wishing list...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elroyie Regular Member • Posts: 418
Canon R5 some thoughts an wishing list...

After few days with the Canon R5 I can say that this is nice improvement over the Canon 5DM4. The menus are great and simple, the UI is very intuitive, the buttons are in the right place and customizable. I like the 45mp resolution, it gives me lot of details. The DR is fantastic and low light performance is great.

I played a little bit with the eye tracking focus and this is a great feature for taking wildlife picture.

I liked the fact that Canon choose to keep the shape and the ergonomics of their 5 series and not making a too small camera, the result is that the camera is very comfortable in hand and very balanced.

I am using the SmallRig Camera L-Bracket and it fits well for my tripod, on my 5DM4 i had the Kirk L-plate.

I am using this glass screen protector, it fits well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FTHZQXH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For now all my lenses are EF lenses and I am working with an adapter, I have the Canon adapter and the simple Viltrox (I had problems with my first adapter Viltrox EF-R2), the latter is working great but it is not firm like the Canon.

Two things that I am missing from the 5DM4 are the battery life, the R5 is a battery 'eater' and the option to see through the viewfinder without turning on the camera.

I wish Canon will update the R5 software with some things that can be usefull

1. Adding night mode to the viewfinder, the data in the viewfinder is to bright and the white, it is very dazzling in very low light scenes and when taking stars pictures, maybe if they were red it was more useful.

2. Image Stabilizer is working all the time when the screen or the viewfinder are on, I wish it will work for a few seconds after releasing the shutter button.

3. For me the 'rate' button is very useless, I would be more then happy if I could assign something else to this button.

4. I wish that there will be an option to assign to the cameras' buttons switching between animal/people/no priority option (this option will go directly to the rate button... ).

5. In the 5DM4 during noise reduction after long exposure I could take another shot, I wonder if it is possible to apply this to the R5 also.

Overall I am very pleased with my new Canon R5.

-- hide signature --

Elroyie David

elroyie's gear list:elroyie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 500mm f/4.0L IS II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +12 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow