Improving on m43 as a compromise solution

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JurassicPizza
JurassicPizza Contributing Member • Posts: 813
Improving on m43 as a compromise solution

I'm looking for input on whether there is another system I should investigate for my needs/wants.

Some background - I shoot travel/landscape/nature/macro/general, mainly with an Olympus E-M5 II and Olympus pro zooms. In 2015 I got tired of lugging around a Nikon full frame kit (D800E and quality lenses, the culmination of many years of upgrades starting with a D70) and picked up the Olympus gear.

I've been very happy with the E-M5 II - but it would be great to have the option of shooting lower noise (at base ISO), higher resolution, higher dynamic range images without any increase in size and weight. I do realize that hi res mode, stitching, and stacking can do much of what I want, but not all of it, and never as conveniently as with a single higher-quality image.  Moving water and wind play havoc with hi res, for example.

Everything I've investigated so far (Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony) leads me to believe there really isn't a much better solution.  The latest generation m43 sensors are only incrementally better, and bigger sensors in other systems necessitate bigger lenses to get the same build and image quality that I get with the Olympus pro zooms.

Is there anything I'm missing?  Otherwise, I'm probably holding out for a newer generation m43 camera at about 24MP.

-- hide signature --
 JurassicPizza's gear list:JurassicPizza's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Olympus Tough TG-4 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M5 II +20 more
Olympus E-M5 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow