Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GreenBeer New Member • Posts: 23
Fuji 23mm f1.4 vs 35mm f1.4

Yup, I know this thread is akin to another recent thread I made (one lens...)

However, before making my pocket cry by handin $900 to Amazon - I'd like to see what I'm getting with the 23mm.

Currently I have the 35mm 1.4 and it's the Jesus lens as far as I'm concerned. The quality of the images is outstanding (far above my ability as a photographer) and there's just something unique about the shots that stand out.

While I'm not a fan of this guys videos - because he doesn't compare apples to apples - if you watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvq0vJh8Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1MT7DNX6qE

You can clearly see which is the 35mm f1.4 when it comes up - it's just a mix of sharp focus, surreal bokeh and some kind of blending magic. Whereas the 23mm photos just appear very clinical.

So, what are the benefits of a 23mm?

- Full frame equivalent of 35mm - and all the lineage of the 'perfect story telling frame'

- Ability to stand much closer to my subject when doing non-posed environmental portraits (GF sitting at a bar drinking some tiki concoction. The 35mm would require for me to stand all the way across the bar.

Can any photographers who shoot with both lend some feedback regarding these two lenses. Is the magic of the 35mm f1.4 just all in my head? Does the 23mm match it? What are the pros cons?

Normally, would just buy and return it if I don't like it. But I leave in some far flung village overseas and I have to ship everything to California then wait 2 months for it to ship to me... So it's always a struggle to make right decisions before committing.

Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow