Considering mirrorless

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Penny123 Regular Member • Posts: 387
Considering mirrorless

I know the forum probably gets fed up of these posts but I have read every topic on here and still a bit confused. I’m currently using the d810 and for the last year or so I was sure when the time came to get a new camera it would be the d850. My d810 shows the err message back and forward so it has got me thinking what do I want next. I actually rented the d850 for my summer holiday in case the d810 failed when away and found myself using the d850 more. I can’t pin point why but I probably enjoyed using it more and definitely found the dial for changing focus points handy and the focus felt snappier. I didn’t get a chance to use it with all my lenses or type of photos but for what I did for the week I was happy, not sure if my imagination or not but the colours of the d850 felt easier to process, particularly the coat colour of my dog.

The two main reasons I started looking at mirrorless is the weight. I do a lot of hill walking and the z7ii with 24-70 f4 should be lighter than the d810 with 24-70 2.8. The other reason is I am not having much luck shooting wide open with any of my lenses, particularly the 24-70 2.8, I need to go to 5.6 to really nail focus. I never had any issue shooting wide open with my d700 and it’s not to do with the resolution showing more error. I have tried fine tuning but don’t have much luck. I don’t shoot wide open often but when I do I end up frustrated. It’s more noticeable if my subject isn’t filling the frame but I would be good knowing the option is there more.

If I moved to mirrorless I would get the 24-70 f4 as I’ve read great things about this and also the 50. At this moment in time I can’t justify the expense at getting the 70-200 2.8s I have the f mount g vrii which I do love using for portraits and shots of my dog running. Would this lens perform the same way on the z7ii with adapter as it does on the d810? I know I have read quite a lot about the mirrorless being behind for action photography, I could keep my d810 just for this.  I also have the 300 f4D which I love but haven’t had the chance to use much lately.

The type of photos I am mostly interested in is landscape (many handheld when out walking), general subjects, portraits of my toddler nephew but my main subject is I like to capture photos of my dog on our various adventures, I do try to get nice portraits. I know it seems a bit crazy going to all the photographic expense for dog photos but it does bring me a lot of enjoyment.  I do try and capture action shots too and she is incredibly fast as she is a whippet, I’ve had moderate success with the d810 for these type of photos. I do find myself shooting at iso 800 often to get a decent shutter speed for woodland shots or duller conditions, the noise is ok higher but I find it makes the colour difficult to process particularly of my dog.

I have been looking at options for renting the z7ii with a couple of lenses over a weekend which should cost about £200 but really just looking for first hand experience from anyone who takes similar photos and has a similar lens set up for thoughts on if mirrorless could be the best way forward for me or something at this stage maybe isn’t right for what I’m looking for. I had been looking at the z7ii rather than the z6ii as I do crop a lot.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow