DSLR lens advice, need help deciding. on which lens to upgrade or if it is sort of pointless.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
CardBoardBoxProcessor Regular Member • Posts: 328
DSLR lens advice, need help deciding. on which lens to upgrade or if it is sort of pointless.

Hello, I currently have a Tamron 180mm f/2.5 35th anniversary edition. It is really sharp wide open even at f/2.5 and all around a good lens. Small and portable. and was able to take this with it on my first attempt at deepsky since several years ago. https://i.redd.it/h4k820ziq6b61.jpg Now when I was very new to Deepsky and I was a lens flipper I had for a brief time a Nikkor 200mmm f/2.0 ED I had no idea what I had at the time other than $700 in profit so I sold it after 2 very amateur deep sky sessions.

I am a bit more knowledgeable now and getting back into the hobby and I am wondering if I should keep using the 2.5 or try to get a holy grail lens again. an F2.0 could gather almost twice as much stellar light in the same time as the 2.5 right?

So I am sort of pondering and thinking over which of these lenses I should perhaps get or and if they have any draw backs compared to the rather awesome Tamron. They are all within a several hundred dollars of each other on any given eBay day.

• Sigma 105mm f/1.4 ("cheapest" of them all but 105mm,said to be great sharpness)
  • Nikkor 200mm F2.0 ED MF (good focal length and sometimes good price but slower than others)
  • Canon 200mm f/1.8 (pricey but more light and good focal length.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow