Sony 35mm f1.4 GM

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
sobrien
sobrien Senior Member • Posts: 1,569
Re: Sony 35mm f1.4 GM

Light Pilgrim wrote:

Very strange discussion:-) Which fl is better 35 or 50?

depends on the need, style, creative vision:-)

My reply was limited to creating panoramas, using a series of portrait orientated shots, and how 50mm is typically considered ideal for that purpose. Shot vertically it gives reasonable height for a single layer pano and typically produces less distortion than a 35mm. You will often hear landscape shooters say they love their X-35 lens but wish it went to 50mm so that they didn't also have to carry a 50mm prime for panos. That 's all. But sure, a slightly more distorted look might be a creative choice for a pano too I guess. People make panos with all manner of focal lengths to different effect. To each their own.

shawnphoto wrote:

sobrien wrote:

shawnphoto wrote:

akjos wrote:

noggin2k1 wrote:

Judging by a lot of the comments in this forum, there will be a fair few "please Canon, give us something like this".

Whilst I applaud Sony for starting to rollout some decent lenses, I do hope Canon sacrifices some of the size & weight saving for less of a reliance on heavy corrections when releasing their RF L 35mm.

f1.2 or f1.4, I'm not overly bothered at this focal length, but please just make it no bigger than the RF 50mm L.

Anyway, over to you Canon, to see what you've got...

Dear Canon PLEASE give us FINALLY modern fast 28mm prime. There are 4 35s already ( and I don’t care about 35mm FL) and NO 28 faster then 2.8. Id be perfectly happy with 500$ 28 1.8 similar to the 35 macro... but If there was epic 28 1.4 comparable to 50 and 85 1.2 Id start saving for sure too

35 is a very strong focal length. It is excellent for multi-row panoramas. And it is probably the most versatile prime focal length. 28 is fine but because it is wider it gives up a little resolution in panoramas, and it is ok but not as nice for portraits. 50 of course gives you a tighter portrait and still retains flexibility, but is a little too tight for group shots or panoramas.

Conventional wisdom is that 50mm is the ideal focal length for (vertical) panoramas.

There are a bazillion reasons why 50 isn't as good as 35 unless you just want that look but some people say the true FL of the eye is closer to 35 anyway so if that is why you're using 50 IMO you're wasting your time.

Just my opinion man!

-- hide signature --

"The simple things are also the most extraordinary things and only the wise can see them."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/135843555@N03/

sobrien's gear list:sobrien's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
VZA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow