Sharpness: GX8 v. Em1-mk2 !!!

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adrian Harris
Adrian Harris Veteran Member • Posts: 6,322
Sharpness: GX8 v. Em1-mk2 !!!

Surprising new findings...

When fitted with a Pl100-400, the Em1-mk2 is very noticeably sharper than the GX8 when photographing distant subjects, regarding feathers on large birds, fur on animals, etc.

However recently I tested my new Olympus 60mm macro lens using both the above cameras (just in case the sensor in the em1-mk2 wasn't perfectly aligned. And I knew the GX8 sensor is).

First I took a series of shots of a brick wall - square on - from approximately 8 feet, and also at around 2 feet, then at home of an evenly printed fine grey dotted paper at 1:1 macro distance (6 or 8cm, can't remember).

All subjects were photographed at f2.8, f4, f5.6, f8, with both cameras. And 4 shots at each setting.

I was looking for evenness of sharpness across the frame. Electronic shutter used on both cameras.

Two surprise's:

1st: even sharpness across the frame varied from shot to shot! (Stabilisation - which could move the sensor - was off).

2nd: the GX8 was easily as sharp as the em1-mk2.

So in practical usage, why is the em1-mk2 noticeably sharper than the GX8 when fitted with the PL100-400?

PS. The olympus 60mm macro turned out to be very impressive. . ..  except when: On both cameras set at f14 shooting the dotty printed grey card, images were total mush. But I am questioning my technique for this last test (low light and silly slow shutter speed). So will retest).

Am trying to figure best way of displaying test image results (over 200mb) with my 1mb upload bandwidth and limited webspace, for everyone to analyze, without wrecking original image quality !

-- hide signature --
 Adrian Harris's gear list:Adrian Harris's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sony SLT-A77 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +1 more
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow