RF 15-35 abit... Meh?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182
Re: RF 15-35 abit... Meh?

RDM5546 wrote:

So there are at least some of us that have the RF 15-35 that think is the best ever that we have used. If that is Meh for you then don't buy it. I also have the EF 16-35L III and it no better. I like everything in the upgrade but both lenses are excellent. I am keeping both because I still use my 5D Mk IV along with the R5. doing what they were meant to do.

I may have come off harsh and implied it wasn't a great lens...it certainly is.  I just don't care for this recent tend in ultrawide f2.8 zooms of the extreme vignetting in the corners.  It's not just Canon doing it either, seems to be the new de facto standard.  It appears to be what must be sacrificed to satisfy the "I need super sharp corners at f2.8" crowd, which is what these lenses are largely judged by anymore.

I'm not an optical engineer, and I certainly understand there are tradeoffs to be made in every lens design.  But considering the increase in size and cost the f2.8s have inflated to, it's a shame the vignetting has gone from this in 2007 (and was criticized for being high at the time):

To this in 2020 (with increased size and weight):

That's not a slight regression, at many settings it's a "twice as bad" scenario.

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow