AF for dynamic fashion shots?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Digital Shutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 5,274
Re: Duh ....

Paul P K wrote:

Digital Shutterbug wrote:

BBF only with separate shutter release triggering, is IMO and experience based on shooting years of fashion, catwalk and surf photography, not feasible for use with a model moving at full speed, as it means triggering having to switch from the AF with the BBF button with one finger, to another finger to take the picture, causing a however slight delay, allowing the moving model from the spot the AF was at on the moment the decision was made to take the shot, to just a bit closer by in the next split second moment later when the shutter release button was pushed

I've never seen anyone set up BBF and use it that way. The BBF button is generally pushed with your right thumb. Your index finger is still capable of pressing the shutter release at any time, completely independent of the BBF button being held depressed or not.

Duh, of course the BBF button can practically speaking only be pushed with the thumb (which is one of the five fingers on a hand), alongside with the index finger (another one of the 5 fingers on a hand) for pushing the release button

Pushing the BBF button with another finger then a thumb from the same hand when holding a camera is next to impossible, if even possible, anatomically speaking, and apart from the obvious fysical impossibility of course would be extremely time consuming.

But (even) with AF activation by BBF only, and separate release triggering by the release button only, there will be a split second delay between finding the subject in focus, and taking the picture

Basically one would be in the same situation as manually focusing on a moving subject, and after seeing the subject in focus in the viewfinder, taking the picture the next split second before the subject has moved on from the spot it was seen in focus, especially as few have/still have the fast eye/hand reflex to be able to take a picture that way.

I guess there is still something I'm not understanding. If shooting a moving subject, you would surely be using AF-C. While holding the BBF button, the subject, at least walking human, should remain in focus. Obviously, that would be different when shooting a race car coming in your general direction at 200mph. Pressing the shutter release at the appropriate time should result in a properly focused image.

Modern cameras have a shutter release lag time measured in a few milliseconds. If you're splitting hairs, yes the subject moves during that time. If the focus mechanics don't adjust for subject movement during that few milliseconds the focus will be off. But, how much could that possibly be in a walking subject? The DOF should be much greater than the distance a lady moves on the catwalk. Am I just completely missing your point?

While I do still have that kind of fast eye/hand reflex from my 70's/80's days of shooting fashion, catwalk and dance with my F2AS and FE,

P&H A'dam 1983 F2AS 4.5/80-200 f4.5 (manual focus obviously) 1/125th Tri-X pushed ISO 800

I nowadays gladly embrace the advanced AF that comes with modern DSLR's and mirrorless

-- hide signature --

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow