Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP e61 Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

briantilley wrote:

e61 wrote:

I love shooting environmental portraits wide open, and while I love almost every Z lens introduced so far, I really wish there was a native f1.4 24mm or 35mm prime. They’re my most-used focal lengths.

I’m evaluating my options until Nikon (or Sigma or Tamron or whoever!) releases an f1.2 or f1.4 prime around 24, 28 or 35mm, and wanted to get a little feedback from those that have faced similar decisions.

Here are the options I see right now for each focal length. My requirements: 1) f1.4 or faster, and 2) autofocus. Please no debates about the merits of f1.4 vs. f1.8 :). I value bokeh quality, accurate autofocus and relatively quiet autofocus for video.

I can appreciate that you might prefer a f/1.4 lens because of its shallower depth of field, but that's not the same thing as "bokeh quality". Bokeh (as I'm sure you know) relates to the appearance of out-of-focus areas. If what you're after is those creamy smooth backgrounds with attractive highlights and smooth transitions rather than outright shallow DoF, then it's possible that an f/1.8 lens such as the Z 35mm or 24mm might satisfy you - and they would certainly meet your requirements for accurate and quiet AF.

In my case, I certainly prefer the OoF areas from my Z 35mm f/1.8 S when compared with those from the Tamron 35mm f/1.8 VC that I previously used on a D850. Not all f/1.8 lenses are equal. Basically, I wouldn't rule the the current Z Nikkors out without trying them.

Please ignore the above if you just want shallower DoF rather than nice bokeh

Right, gotcha, I meant to refer to bokeh quality as a characteristic of the lenses in addition to being able to get to f1.4. I’ve had the Z 24 and 35 f1.8s — great lenses, especially the 24, but I really am looking for f1.4 lenses (or f1.2 if Nikon or Sigma ever wants to go there on the Z-mount!) at those focal lengths.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow