* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #664 on 2021 01 13 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
P3T3S Senior Member • Posts: 1,850

P3T3S wrote:

This interested me, because there are a number of layers / questions about what is reality and what is an illusion or fake.

Pete

Untitled (London Bridge) by Kerry James Marshall

I mentioned the layers of fake or reality. It was taken in a gallery, and the lighting makes the real, living, breathing humans look very flat and blend in with the people on the painting. In fact the girl in the blue top is the only real person, and then the fun starts. SHe seems to be part of the painting, so is she a fake part of the painting? Alternatively, the painting blends with her, so does it provide a fake scene for her? The painting is of London Bridge, but actually it is not in London, but has been dismantled and rebuilt stone for stone in Arizona. It was spanning the Thames in London for over a hundred years, so is it the real London Bridge, or is that impossible, because it is now in Arizona? In any case, it was only built in 1831, to replace the famous 600 year old London Bridge of song and legend, so is it a fake and it’s predecessor the real one?

I could be cynical, and say that the sky is never that blue in London, but sometimes it really is. The Thames, I can safely say, has never been that blue, however! Also, despite the Fish & Chips signs and red buses, it is definitely a fake London atmosphere.

Am I reading too much into this? Yes, but it’s fun.

Pete

P3T3S's gear list:P3T3S's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow