Regarding the G5X Mark II vs G1X Mark III

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
RLight Senior Member • Posts: 2,949
Regarding the G5X Mark II vs G1X Mark III

Regarding the G5X Mark II and G1X Mark III, as a former owner of the latter and present owner of the former, I feel perhaps after some long term use of both I can finally speak to perhaps which is “better”.

Let me say each has its own pros and cons (obviously) and both make for an excellent 2nd camera solution for pros or other larger solution carriers on a day to day basis. Let me also preface that the G1X Mark III and G5X Mark II excel when you don’t want to swap a lens, don’t want to carry a bag, but, sacrifice in that you can’t swap a lens, you’re stuck with the one included. This is good in that the G5X Mark II carries a lens you simply otherwise can’t create with as much operational use (24-120 f/1.8-2.8 on a 1”) in such a package otherwise, or, even higher quality and weather sealed (24-70 f/2.8-5.6 on the G1X III in APS-C) so each brings unique benefits vs their lens swapping counterparts, namely the EOS M, Canon’s smallest ILC offering.

I’ll start with saying where you should pick each: If you want lower profile, ie pocket-ability, more reach, or slightly better candid shooting autofocus, you should choose the G5X Mark II. If you want weather sealing, better video, colors and landscape performance: G1X Mark III.

It really is as simple as that.

What this looks like:

Say the avid hiker that’s constantly backpacking in some woods, desert, or wetland (or like) where dust, sand, water/ice/snow are a threat and are constantly desiring high resolution out of their shots, the sharper lens and higher MP counts of the G1X Mark III will serve you better and the G1X III doubles well for food and social events.

Or say the parent: You’re at the park where even slung camera will lend attention. You need the reach of 120mm for say the stage your child is on, but need the width of 24mm for the parks, indoor play areas and the like, G5X II will be a better choice and draw less attention from event security, law enforcement and even other parents.

Overlap: If you’re a hybrid, somewhere in the middle where you’re both being exposed to elements but also need reach, hate to say a coin flip, but…

Additional ramblings, I’ll say that the colors, sharpness and bokeh rendition of the G1X Mark III are truly unbeatable for its form factor. Likewise, I’ll say the range (24-120, f/1.8-2.8) of the lens of the G5X Mark II in its form factor is likewise also unbeatable.

In my book, they’re both in the same arena, but, geared towards slightly different audiences, even though there’s alot of overlap for general social gathering and food usage which they're both equally good at but different as to how that plays out.

Still stuck? Canon says the G1X III is the flagship and the G5X II is a 2nd camera, not a first, really. I would agree on both counts. If you’re doing a single camera, the G1X III is “better”. If you already have another camera, be it a Rebel, M, R? G5X Mark II as those folks are really looking for something small-small, which the G1X III can pocket, but only in a coat and cargo pants/short... Then there's the G5X II which can pocket-pocket...

BTW, PS, which would I personally rather own? Let's say I'd rather not drive my wife nuts so I"ll hang onto my G5X II till Canon does something else. But perhaps I should've never let go of the G1X III, but the G5X II serves me well. It may be my last point and shoot... That's up to Canon really on whether or not they should refresh the G1X III. I'd love to see a cross between the two; a more aggressive lens, with an APS-C DSLR-form factor compact offering. I'm not holding my breath.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon G1 X III Canon EOS R Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3
Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow