Diamonds are ... not a photographer's best friend! ;-)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,009
Diamonds are ... not a photographer's best friend! ;-)

Quite hard to photograph these, especially if they are really tiny (somehow hadn't access to any big ones ...). But I got a small one to play with - at about 3mm diameter it was really a challenge to capture it nicely even with macro gear.

So I took my K-1 with a Tamron 90mm macro, and put a 25mm tube between those two for some extra magnification. Everything was mounted on a macro rail, a geared head and a very sturdy tripod.

But the lighting to get that "shiny diamond look" was not that easy. All shots presented here taken at ISO 100.

My first results with some light from left and right were - well - downright ugly (f10):

Could be a shard in some tin - definitely doesn't look like a diamond, and not appealing at all.

Changing the background to something nicer and modifying the perspective helped a little (pic included here also for the metric scale visible) - f9:

Now it begins to look like some piece of jewelry at least!

After some further experimenting it was very clear that I needed very close lights coming directly from the front - f8:

Now we're talking!

And after that success let's close with a somewhat moody, shallow DOF shot - f4:

All pictures are crops. Even with the 90mm lens at 1:1 (fully extended) and with the extra 25mm tube it was of course not possible to get the tiny gem to fill the frame.

Enjoy!

Phil

-- hide signature --
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow