Carl Zeiss Flektagon 35 2.4 on Z7

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Microprism Contributing Member • Posts: 865
Re: Carl Zeiss Flektagon 35 2.4 on Z7

ProfHankD wrote:

SimonOL wrote:

steppenwolfer wrote:

Anyway, here are 3 examples, taken at infinity at f8 (photos developed from RAW with C1pro 21 with defaults and sunny WB):

... To me lens seems really sharp in center and loose sharpness about half way (~60%) from center. But all in all, I could easily use this lens for my photography, as long as no pixel peeping is involved.

Gosh that's a depressing summary! My go-to 35mm is an M42 SMC Takumar 35mm f/2, which holds up well to FF edges (not quite corners) even wide open and never flares (unlike my Canon FDn 35mm f/2, which almost never doesn't flare ).

I wonder why you get so much flare from the FDn 35mm f/2? Not to say that it never happens, but it doesn't seem that awful to me and I find it to be outstanding in other areas like sharpness and contrast. I do always use a lens hood...

Canon FDn 35mm f/2: f/11 @ 1/400 second

Canon FDn 35mm f/2: f/4.5 @ 1/125 second

Canon FDn 35mm f/2: f/8 @ 1/320 second

I consider its 10 element construction with no aspherical elements to be one of the high points of the FD series. The EF version that followed it uses a 7 element design.

Microprism's gear list:Microprism's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +22 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow